Monday, March 31, 2008

yet more sunshine and beaches ...

While our job application forms are being processed, muled over and regurgitated by seemingly lethargic pen pushers, my wife and I are left with the simple and daily decision of 'what now'. I prefer to do as little as possible, but contractual obligations (as stipulated in my marriage vows) compel/encourage me to accompany my beautiful wife to wherever she pleases. Fortunately for me, her recent choices have been to my liking and you will now see why. For some of you, the next photo may be familiar ...



If any of you actually recognised the above beach, then it is a sure indicator that you were not doing your homework after school as you should have been (tut tut). It is, of course, 'Summer Bay' from Aussie soap 'Home and Away'.

This is one of me proudly standing by Alf's Bait Shop and the Surf Club. We even managed to see some of the filming for Home and Away and that was jolly exciting and proved rather entertaining. We did not, however, take any photos of the filming as that would have made us feel more pathetic and sad than we did already. We were, by far, the oldest of the onlookers.


As an aside, I feel that some of you have not understood the true and malicious nature of the cats we live with. Indeed, several readers of this blog seem to think they are friendly. I can assure you that despite their cute and cuddly persona, this is not the case. After allowing Lucky to sit on my lap, it launched an unprovoked (and possibly calculated) attack and savaged my hand with its razor sharp fangs. Not content with this, it proceeded to sink its claws deep into my flesh. My dutiful wife decided not to mount a rescue and instead chose to capture this moment on our camera. In response to some of you feline lovers who have marvelled at how 'cute' our cohabiting cats are, let the next picture act as a warning: Cats are bastards and would kill you in a heartbeat if it knew how to use a tin opener.


As an aside from an aside, take a look at the next two photos we took of a Sydney advertising campaign. It would appear that the natives (the ones who all descend from law-breakers, philanderers and swines) have become complacent and are forgetting their debt of gratitude...


Remember you can click on the photo to make it larger ... this next one is alright though:


On Sunday, we went for a splendid stroll around a wonderful cove called La Perouse. The path snaked along the coast and gave a taste of how rugged and savage Australia can be. The dry heat was intense and the sun's rays descended unabstructed upon the dry soil underfoot. We observed the dangers of the outback first hand. The trail was alive with gargantuan spiders with multicoloured legs, lizards with terrifically long tails and a whole host of spine tingling creepy crawlies. Despite my concern that I would be imminently assaulted by a hoard of jumping spiders and rampaging lizards, I was able to enjoy the walk under the canopy of fragrant eucalyptus trees.



Just as well there was shelter as earlier in the day my hat was left on a train. While for those of you with heads full of hair this may be of no consequence, for my unprotected dome this meant disaster. The sun is particularly unkind to bald men and direct heat on the skull boils the blood around the brain. The ramifications of this can be unpredictable but for me it usually leads to bouts of extreme and insatiable hunger. My wife was kind enough to lend me her sarong and this combined with my newly acquired skill of turban tying provided a satisfactory outcome ..

I must now buy another hat. I am thinking a Trilbey over the Panama ... any suggestions? The walk also took us past some Australian Mimosa trees. My mum was given one by Steph for mother's day and this fragile plant has caused my mother perpetual distress and anxiety ever since. Mum, is it still alive?


3 comments:

Jess said...

I love your posts Philip. I am in my office, laughing like a monster (if monster knows how to laugh, not sure of that actually) and everybody is staring at me...but if I try to explain why I laugh, well, it becomes quite complicated...
In fact,I realise that I am not sure if I really well understand your jokes.
And who are you thinking about when you say heads full of hair...?!!! Come on !
I can lend you some for your journey in Aussie if you need so.
Should go back to work....des bisous !!!!

vannina said...

Yes my austalian mimosa is still alive and even producing new YELLOW flowers.
Gordon Ramsay has been refused permission to open a restaurant on Sydney harbourr because of his swearing and vulgarity...(check independent on line). He is furious. Serve him right, I say. Maman

Celia said...

Because I'm always worried I will get caught by Big Boss, I always scroll down quickly to look at the photos and then, if time allows, read the text (don't get me wrong, I ALWAYS read the text, but sometimes it's only at home in the evening).

So this time, I only managed the pictures, and was left all day long with the impression that Philip was reading an extremely funny book!

Hahaha, sorry it's not that amusing, this cute little cat is obviously the worst kind of monster!!!

Celia

PS: I still think we win when it comes to owning the worst / strangest cat in the world (sorry Thomas, I know you love him, but you have to admit he is weird).