Tuesday, March 18, 2008

winter?


Chilling out on the rooftop, writing the blog.

Not much to say about the last two days, apart from the fact that we have found a flat to stay in for the next few weeks. It’s a shared flat with an English guy, just next door to our backpackers. In fact, we can see its balcony from the rooftop of our hostel. It’s a pretty flat, with stunning views of Sydney (including the harbour and Russell Crowe’s place), there’s a swimming pool in the building (free for the residents) and a huge rooftop terrace, where BBQs will be de rigueur. Phil still can’t believe he’s going to be flat-sharing. He thought staying in a youth hostel and using public transport was it. Clearly things can get worse for him... This is a photo of our youth hostel.



The guy is cool, he sounds Australian, although he’s from Birmingham. He gave us the list of all the things that are better back in England. The list is short: decent sausages, Coronation Street, Alan Partridge and football. And my list is even shorter, as I don’t watch Coronation Street, don’t like Alan Partridge and am really not bothered about football.

We didn’t go to the beach yesterday as we spent most the day looking for a place to stay on a longer basis and applied for teacher and social worker registration. It turns out to be a pretty lengthy process. We also need an address here, that’s why we were quite desperate to find a flat. So desperate, that the only solution is to find a spot in the sun and enjoy freshly juiced watermelon and strawberry smoothie.

Early this morning, we had a lovely surprise. Mum called us. How nice! It was great to hear your voice, Moz, I do miss you all. But next time, can you please avoid calling at 4.30am... I love you and all, but I need my beauty sleep. (No, but seriously, I was truly deligted to hear your voice, so call me whenever you want, even half-way through the night).

A few moments ago, we were on the rooftop, when something bad happened. We were preoccupied with post BBQ digestion and I was quietly writing this for the blog while Phil was chilling enjoying the view, when I saw IT.... Yes, you all guessed: my biggest fear, there it was, crawling under my chair: a Cockroach!!!! Ahhhhh! I had to run back inside, to wait for my brave husband to gather the computer and the dishes so we could sit in the safety of the communal area. The view’s not as good, but it’s safe ( Sorry Ju, but a communal area filled with smelly backpacking hippie swines is not my idea of safe ... at least not when hygiene is concerned). At least I know it’s unlikely I’ll get eaten by a giant creepy crawler here (yes, there’re jus as big as in Vietnam). Speaking of eating, here is a photo of Phil warning me off his food...

While Ju goes to recover from her terrible and unwelcome ordeal, I shall do my best to inform you of the latest ...

While sapping/interrogating a local Australian waitress for insider knowledge, she divulged to us that the best place for a dip would be a place called Cronulla Beach. She described it as being a snorkelling paradise. With mask and tuba in hand, we skipped joyfully to this little known spot. As we arrived, this unsightly whisper of a cloud disturbed our blue sky and a light breeze picked up (you can see this ghastly cloud in the left hand side of the photo bellow). The temperature dropped well below 30 Celsius and mild consideration was given to perhaps doing up a button on my shirt. Winter is well and truly on its way. Pfff...

As we reached the ‘snorkelling paradise’ it became clear that local advice should be treated with contempt, suspicion and general disbelief. This is particularly true when the interrogator is a posh sounding Pom and the interogee is an overenthusiastic Aussie.


The beach was made up of a stretch of reinforced concrete with steps leading to dark and ice-cold looking water. After consoling ourselves with chips we gathered enough courage to go for a swim. When it takes Ju a good 5 minutes to go into the water (followed by moments of frantic paddling), I know that the water can only be described as glacial. With my wife already in the water and the natives watching my every move, I had no option but to make a swift dive into the sea. Clearly a foolish and school-boy error. I should have feigned an injury and made a discrete retreat. I spent the next two hours recovering from the icy clutches of the Pacific Ocean.

Once in the water, however, the fish were simply amazing. There were dozens of different fish ranging from schools of tiny little things to a massive blue (and perhaps shark-like) thing. My experience left me with two definitive thoughts. One, these fish were not bothered by us and were close enough to touch. They were so big and so slow that even Nick could shoot these guys with a harpoon gun. So thus, I need a harpoon gun. Two, I need a wetsuit.


5 comments:

Celia said...

Have got to stop and check the internet, have got to stop and check the internet, have got to stop and check the internet,have got to stop and check the internet!

Get back to work Celia, Boss might walk in on two bronzed Gods and wonder why I'm just gazing at the screen ("because I didn't see you coming! Hahaha").

Thank you for your news and good luck with job hunting.

Good news about the flat! How long can you stay there for?

Celia XXX

Thomas Taylor said...

Celia, get back to work! It sounds like these two people have found what they were looking for and I'm sure they don't need you logging in and reminding them of Rouen every five minutes.

J & P, I'm pleased you have had such a good start to your Year in Oz (sounds like a book). I hope you keep up the blog because it's nicely done and very amusing -- I can actually hear your voices as the fonts change.

Cheerio!

Thomas

Nick J said...

Can we have a picture of the view from your new place please!

So jealous, I have nothing more than a decaying and dilapidated railway bridge on which to feast my eyes...I will have to take the picture of your view, and laminate it to my window, tricking my mind into a relaxed (lazy?) state...

Oh, and that fish I caught may have been small, but it was really very tatsty...haute cuisine...

HANNAH said...

Phil! Hello!
I thought I'd write on here rather then email and say a long overdue hello to your lovely wife.... 'hello!'

So pleased that you guys are getting on so well so far..... keep us posted!!

So, I have news.... and wonder whether this will suit!? Richard and I are about to book ourselves a long-haul adventure.... if the weather is FAB over there and you are staying in Sydney for a while.... we could come and scope you out from your heavenly hidey holes for a couple of evenings...? Yes Phil, maybe you could indulge in a few too many pints, mmmm?! Ha hA! Celine is over there somewhere too... although last I heard, she was in Melbourne.

Anyway, let me know RE weather etc as we are ready to book any day and if we could meet it would be soooooo funny.... from first day at school to a true 21 odd years later the other side of the world!

Anyhow, keep safe the both of you and good luck with Jobs etc... I look forward to seeing you sometime soon?!

Hannah xx

Jess said...

Bon, si moi j'ecris en francais ca craint du boudin or what ?
Je vais faire quelques efforts et tenter de mixer les 2 from now.
Laissez me quelques minutes( heures ??!) pour dechiffrer your posts ensoleilles et baver on vos photos et I reviens ...en franglais.
Des bisous crazy !
Jess

ps: BTW Celia, did you check the internet...? we are all very concerned about that !!! ;-)mwa !